Am I addicted to twitter?

Hi my name is Paul Bogush, and I think I am addicted to Twitter.

When I was young there was this house on my way home from most places that my mother would make my father slow down whenever we went past it at night. At night they always had the light on in this second story window and the drapes were always left open. On the walls was the most wonderful silver and black wallpaper that made the 70’s the shaggiest decade of my life. I was always intrigued by the people in the window, and I loved getting a glimpse into their life. My dad would never slow down long enough to let us get a really good look at them or to be able to figure out exactly what they were doing. The house has changed owners, the silver and black wall paper is no longer up, the light is usually off, and the shades are now usually drawn – but I still slow done and look in.

Twitter reminds me of that window – except that the window is open and the people inside want to share what they are doing with me, and in return care about what I am doing. It is kind of scary actually. I feel like I am snooping. But for some reason I find myself really caring about a Board of Education 2000 miles away serving food, or what conference someone is attending. I feel a connection to this group of information nerds. I am addicted. What’s remarkable is that I was an outspoken critic of Twitter when it started, I did open an account early on and never liked it. What made a difference is making the information easily accessible. Ginger Lewman told me about Tweet Bin, threw it up on my Firefox, and bada-bing-bada-boom…I only follow about twenty people, and get followed by 700…opps…I mean 7 — which might be more impressive than my 2,347,195 Technorati blog rating. Luckily I have a twitter fairy that sends my tweets to her worldwide following. I wonder what kind of pressure would come with having more followers? Would I have to start wear matching socks, re-check my spelling? I’m not ready for matching spocks.

The internet has allowed me to come into contact with people that I want to be more like. Does that make sense? I can follow people who are doing things or possess qualities that I want to emulate. I have noticed that many of the people that I follow are “doers.” They are not just thinking and proposing ideas, they are taking action. Twitter has taught me not to just think, but do. The blogs, podcasts, and websites I follow represent where they land on topics, Twitter lets me know about the steps they take to get there.

pbogush149.jpg

1. OMG. You linked to my podcast page. Yike. I’ve been keeping that one under wraps a bit. Not really ready to show off all the warts and hairs there. 😉

But you *do* realize why I pushed hard for your second look at twitter? So you’ll have a bigger audience for the terrific stuff you’re doing and TPLC can ride your coat-tails even farther!

Yep, it *all* comes back to me and my learners!

If I can, I’m going to get you a bigger twitter-following too, where you can borrow the energy of others who can push you up on their shoulders where your kids can see even more!

2. Hey there Paul!
    Nice to hear you have linked to people’s blogs and i hope you make many friends!
    That house you described, it made me picture it very well in my mind! GOLLY! Are you an author or what? 😆
    I would be scared to see it at night though. I feel sorry that the owners left, it’s like when the windows used to be open, that they were releasing all the happiness and joy into the air. 😛 But with them gone and the windows closed, they are closing in on all the smiles.
    If i were you, i’d brag my parents until they would tell me what in god’s name was going on!? Would you? 😆
    Because i mean, it looks so mysterious and it is weird for people, especially your parents to be acting so… so… strangely!! I would spit it ALL out!!!
    Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. Sorry! 😥
    The riddle was meant to be as:
    the two letters would be:
    C and Y! Get it? Candy!
    But your answer was quite smart. Never thought of it myslef.
    Keep trying! 😉 😀