What kind of jobs are you preparing you kids for?

There is always someone in my local peanut gallery that brings up the fact that maybe we should not attempt to prepare everyone to be a scientist, historian, entrepreneur, or computer guru.  “You know, some kids are just going to grow up and be stuck working in a video game store.”  Hmmm… My daughter was using the computer today to research what she should buy with her Game Stop gift certificate and I noticed there was an opening for a manger at one of the stores.  Am I preparing my kids to work at a video store as well as find a cure for cancer?  I think so.

Essential Job Skills/Abilities for Game Stop Manager(partial list)

• Ability to work alone and move throughout store unassisted, for extended periods of time (up to 12 hours per day).
  • Possess strong customer service skills, including clear verbal and written communication skills.
  • Possess basic mathematical skills, alphabetical skills, and working knowledge of computerized cash register and POS system.
  • Ability to read and interpret documents.
  • Exhibit team building and team leadership qualities. Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, diverse work environment.
  • Strong interpersonal skills.
  • Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
  • Ability to meet individual sales, shrink, and special program goals.