There is always someone in my local peanut gallery that brings up the fact that maybe we should not attempt to prepare everyone to be a scientist, historian, entrepreneur, or computer guru. “You know, some kids are just going to grow up and be stuck working in a video game store.” Hmmm… My daughter was using the computer today to research what she should buy with her Game Stop gift certificate and I noticed there was an opening for a manger at one of the stores. Am I preparing my kids to work at a video store as well as find a cure for cancer? I think so.
Essential Job Skills/Abilities for Game Stop Manager(partial list)
- Ability to work alone and move throughout store unassisted, for extended periods of time (up to 12 hours per day).
- Possess strong customer service skills, including clear verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess basic mathematical skills, alphabetical skills, and working knowledge of computerized cash register and POS system.
- Ability to read and interpret documents.
- Exhibit team building and team leadership qualities. Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, diverse work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to meet individual sales, shrink, and special program goals.