21st Century Values

My students and I were amongst the millions of Americans that watched President Obama’s Inaugural speech today.  This part caught my attention:

Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends – hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism – these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths.

There is a huge focus in the blogosphere and 2.0 world on teaching 21st Century skills.  This blog was started to document my path in teaching my kids “21st Century Skills.”  Early on I pulled back on making that the focus.  From the beginning of my research into how to integrate technology into class I noticed that something was missing–values.  We could have teachers fully integrating technology into classrooms that lack values and we will successfully graduate a generation of students who lack the moral compasses to create a future worth living in.

Hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism.

We spend an awful lot of time focused on teaching 21st Century Skills.  Should we also be focused on teaching 21st Century values?