Personal Uncategorized Why 2.0

10 Things I want to do before I die

Amanda, who is one of my students, started a meme last week that she hopes will sweep through the blogosphere.  She writes in her post:

I know mostly everyone has heard “well what things do you want to do before you die”. There’s books that say 100 things to see before you die or 50 things to do before you die. But I’m wondering right now if you had to pick 10 things to do before you die what would they be and do you have reasons why?

I think is is more interesting that the “7 Things you don’t know about me” meme because it shows a little bit about about who we want to be rather than who we have been.  I have been finally tagged by Herky and so here is my list:

10 Things I want to do before I die (In no particular order)

1. Climb K-2 I Love to climb mountains.  I have done a bunch 12,000 ft and higher, but would love to climb a mountain that is not only tall, but one with a great history.
  2. Volunteer more at Old Sturbridge VIllage I simply love role dressing up in my 19th Century farmer clothes and going up to OSV.  I think it is a great place and way to introduce people to history
  3. Buy a quad to help with farm work.  I am getting old.  I need help!
  4. Commute each day to school on my bike–or better yet this one. I was able to commute for about two years and it is so relaxing plus I get in great shape.  Hopefully once my daughters are old enough to let themselves into the house after school I will go back to biking.  Or if I get that bike I would be able to beat their bus home and start earlier!
  5. Become famous in education for something…not sure what…a book, podcast, hmmmm  I admit it, I do want 15 minutes of fame, maybe more.  Since my dream of becoming a rock star is probably over, I would say this is the next best thing.
  6. Grow all the food I eat during an entire year.  We come pretty close each year to growing all of our own meat.  I would love to also do all of our own produce.
  7. Retire from teaching as early as possible…which is connected to…
  8. …Become a college professor in a Department of Education.  I love working with in-service teachers.  I am committed to creating an army of virtuous PBL student centered teachers!
  9. Buy my wife a hot tub.  She deserves one.  Someday I hope we can fit it into the budget.
  10. Hike the entire Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine.  This is what I want to start doing the day after I retire.  I love being outside.  I love doing back country off trail stuff, but there is something so relaxing about just going in a straight line following a trail.

Honestly, I have spent a quite a bit of time reflecting on my list.  For some reason it really surprised me.  I won’t include my self-psychoanalysis here…

I am going to change the rules a bit.  Amanda originally tagged 10 people.  Howabout if we change the rule to at least five! Please tag your blog with 10tdb4id so we can keep track. I tag the following bloggers:

Taylor

Charisse

Daniel

Meg Griffen

Nicole Hill

And here is a an extra challenge for you.  Tag at least one person that you have never had any correspondence with and who’s blog you have never visited.  Someone outside of your normal PLN.  After searching around I found a blog written by Dana Huff.  She includes many posts that reflect back on her week.  Dana, hello, nice to meet you I’m Paul, can you reflect forward for me and tell me “10 Things that you would like to do before you die.”

1. Great list, I have 3 friends that have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail. Two of them did it all in one shot. They started in April and ended in October. The photos they took and shared were amazing! The planning that went into it was crazy! They had their parents mailing packages to the post offices along the trail on given dates.

2. @Paul
    Any chance I can buy some of your farm raised beef this year? I’ll pay top dollar to have it shipped frozen to me. I’ve tried to switched to grass-fed due to the whole health deal and Illinois organic farms are charging a fortune. Let me know I can line up other buyers.

On another note that’s an awesome list. I wish you the best of luck with it. You’d make a great college professor.

3. Hey Mr.Bogush!
    I think your wife deserves a hot tub too. I think she was going crazy on that fishing trip to Vermont.(:
    I can see you accomplishing all of those things in your life time. Good Luck.
    -Olivia-

4. hey Mr.Bpgush
    I would love to climb a mountain with you too bad my mom dosen’t let me .Well its ok, I guess, maybe someday in the future we will work for the same thing and be partners for something very important(i hope)=]

-herky-

5. Hello Mr.B

I told you this would be going around. I am soo happy. I love reading everyones lists. I think it would be fun to work at Old Sturbridge Village. My mom read a book on the Appalachian Trail and it sounds fun good luck!!!! And climbing K-2 good luck with that too. I hope your list comes true.

-Amanda-

6. Hello!
    Thanks for the comment , I have just added a tag for you 😉 , check it out!
    Your blog is great!I really liked it!
    Kisses and hope to hear from you soon.
    Priscila

7. Well your blog personality seemed a lot like you. I’m not sure about the part were it says “you don’t understand other peoples needs” that might not be true. I think the part were it says “attuned to challenges and always look for something more complex to dig into” is RIGHT. Take in the caps locks. But that’s not a bad thing of course.

-Amanda-

8. Hey Mr.B! When you commented on my blog about Camp Delaware, I know it’s at 390 Winchester Rd. I don’t know what West Hill Pond is, but there is a pond right in front of camp.

9. Hey Mr. B.
    Thanks for the comment. I enjoyed righting the last few posts. I haven’t gotten tagged yet but I hope I do because I want to write this post. See you tomorrow.
    Megan

10. I loved (and have experienced) 7-9. I have hiked parts of the AT and belong to the Mt. Rogers AT Club (I’m their webmaster). I had hoped to go to the AT conference in VT this summer but I am teaching a grad course here in SC during that time. What a bummer!

11. What fun! I also have to say that I love Sturbridge Village. We used to visit there every year when I was young. I am so happy to hear that it is still going strong!