The results…

I just finished pouring over the results of my students’ final class evaluations.  I have written about them three years ago, two years ago, and I would like to refer you to Larry Ferlazzo who last month and in previous years has written about the evaluations he has given his kids.  Taking a cue from Larry, I like that he shared his actual results instead of just giving a summary…that was brave.  I don’t normally share the actual results but after a brief reflection will give you the link to all of the answers.

First, here is the evaluation I gave to my kids (formatting a bit messed up on the google doc).

After reading Larry’s post, I think next year I will add more academic and skill based questions to it.

I give quite a lengthy intro to the evaluation.  I really stress how seriously I take it and how I want them to let it rip, to not hold anything back.  I also promise to not read them until after school is over.  What surprised me this year about the two questions at the top of the chart, “In one word…” is how they really changed this year from past years.  In past years words like hard, difficult, and challenging were predominant.  This year I was surprised by words like fun–not that I am against having fun, it’s just seeing that word so many times somehow touched on a traditional nerve that school should be about rigor!! not fun…right?!

Here is a wordle (a wordle makes a word bigger the more times it was given as an answer-click on image to enlarge) for the answers to “In one word describe the teacher…”

one word describe the class

And here is a wordle with the answers to the question “In one word describe the teacher…”

one word describe the teacher

For the question “What is one thing you have learned this year I was surprised by how many kids–nearly all–did not mention any content.   Answers like “be creative” and “be myself” filled the list and show me that while I try to push that, I must be doing it more explicitly and wonder if the content is being pushed too far into the back seat of the class.  Next year I think I will break that question into two, one aimed more specifically at content. On the answers I will share on the data sheet please note that they are abbreviated, I took out the key phrase from each sentence.

The answers to the grid always surprise me.  They are told to mark each question from excellent to miserable.  Excellent should represent without question the “best that they ever experienced,”  and miserable should represent the “worse they ever experienced.”  Three questions especially stand out for me and show three areas that I need to improve in…and what really bugs me is that they are the same three questions that I have been struggling with and slowly improving on for the last ten years or so.

7. Teacher created an environment with enough structure for me to be successful
9. Teacher gave students the attention they needed
11. Teacher’s ability to respond to students’ questions

The three questions are linked very closely together.  Early on in my career when I started shifting how I taught I struggled with how to get the kids to shift from a traditional classroom to a non-traditional class.  At first I was a huge failure.  I literally only lasted doing wild creative things for a month and then shifted right back to traditional activities.  I slowly figured out that I had to de-program them slowly and deliberately.   It can be very painful for many kids.  Looking at #7, they want to be told what to do, for #9 they want me to sit at a desk and allow then to come to me to get their needs met, and for #11 they want me to answer their questions with “answers,” not more questions.  So while I am going to continue doing what I am doing, I need to figure out a better way to tell them what I am doing and why.  By January most kids have figured out what I am doing is not just being “mean,” but I have to be more sensitive to the kids who see what I am doing as not meeting their needs. (after writing this I found a good post from Peter Pappas that touches on these questions)

The other two questions which used to bother me are:

12. Teacher’s knowledge of subject
14. Teacher’s preparation for clas
s

Honestly, the scores for those now make me smile.  There are so many times when kids ask me questions that I respond with something like “I don’t know, go find out and tell me.”  We are also forever adjusting what we do in class and making shifts in what we do mid-way through class, always changing directions, dates, final products, and a lot of what we do I try to make it appear as though we are creating as we go — makes me look unprepared in light of the fact that in a teacher centered room everything always goes according to the original plan.  So I can live with the scores for #12 and #14.

The most valuable part of the evaluation is the final question, “Use the space on the back of this paper to freely express your feelings about the course and teacher…”  I will not summarize them here or include examples because many are very personal answers and I think I would cross a line by sharing some.  I did use some quotes from that last question in this post, and I included examples from the previous years in this video starting at the 2:50 mark.

Here are all of the results from the 2010-2011 school year.  Please note that I ended up organizing each column to find patterns so each row no longer represents a single students responses.  For a copy that would show individual responses you can look here (so row #56 going across is all of a student’s responses). I would appreciate any feedback on the questions I asked, and would like to hear about any questions you feel should be included and how you handle student evaluations.  There were about six kids out, and some kids skipped certain questions.  While I will be brave like Larry and share these scores with you, he actually shares them with his staff!  I can’t ever imagine doing that!

I will end with a push to anyone who does not give their students evaluations–do it.  It might one of the scariest things you do, it might ruin your summer, you will focus on the few that stand out instead of the patterns.  In the beginning of my career the students gave me lots to think about–trust me, even the  evaluation responses from even 5 years ago looked nothing like this year’s evaluation. But in the end, it will re-shape your teaching as long as you do one thing…believe them…all of them.  Don’t start searching for excuses for why a kid answered a certain way, or why they didn’t like you. You must believe what they write is true…because you know what, it usually is, whether we like it, or not.

6 Comments

on “The results…
6 Comments on “The results…
  1. I have never given my students a formal evaluation like that. I have always had “reflection” sessions where we discuss the course generally, what worked and what didn’t. However, doing it your way does seem very helpful and I am surely going to apply it next year. Must admit it does sound scary. Thanks Paul, great post

2. Paul
    I, too, followed Larry’s posts but I did not follow his lead (yet). But I love how you are reflecting on the students’ experiences. I think the new wave of teacher evaluation will have some of these components in them, right? Letting students have input into teacher evaluations was a hot topic at a recent staff gathering of ours.
    Kevin

3. Pingback: Woodcarving: Return to Understanding by Design « Outside the Cave

4. Pingback: I’m not…are you? < Blogush

5. Pingback: Semester 1 Reflection: Build Your Own Civilization | Outside the Cave

6. I just did this and found the results to be so valuable. I plan on doing another at the end of the year to see if I made any growth. Student responses for the fill in portion was by far the most eye opening. Thanks for the great ideas.