What should teachers study?

What should teachers study?

Study oneself.

When the 2.0 phase of the internet started I read everything by every educational blogger out there and listened to every podcast (remember those?).   When I found one that I liked I read every post, and listened to every podcast…not just the latest one tweeted out, and not just the last few on the home page.  I would go all the way back to the beginning which obviously easier to do back then.  These people (David Warlick, Kevin Honeycutt, Will Richardson, Wesley Fryer, and Ginger Lewman…and others I can no longer remember) changed me.  I didn’t pick up tips, or lesson ideas, or resources…they changed the way I thought, acted, and processed information.  They did not change how I taught, they changed who I was, and that changed how I taught.

If someone someday sifts through my posts, I hope that is what they might say about this blog.  Take away the posts that moan and complain(which seem to be more frequent), and the few that are very step-by-step “here is what we did in class,” and I hope the impression that is left upon the readers is that if you seek change in your classroom, the first thing you have to do,  is change oneself.  Many hunts for technology, hours spent on twitter, or weeks planning units often are done in an attempt to find something that makes up for our weaknesses…ignoring what we need to change. We spend time trying to find technology to connect our class with the world, when what we simply might seek is a connection with the kids sitting right in front of us.  Sometimes I wonder if we even know what we are truly seeking.

That is the hidden, and sometimes blatant message here.  No special piece of technology, no magical process, no wonder organizer or schedule change will ever make a bigger impact on your kids, than simply changing oneself.

And it is always nice when someone else agrees 🙂