I am so lucky to be a teacher…

I am pretty excited about the new teacher evaluation system in CT.

45% of my evaluation will be based on student advancement.  22.5% of that will be directly connected to state standardized test scores.  The other 22.5% will be up to school and teacher.  Since we are pretty much told what makes us successful, test scores going up, the other 22.5% will be tied to our town’s common assessments, which are tied to state assessments.  So 45% of my evaluation will be connected to standardized test scores.

40% of my evaluation will be based on observations or performance and practice.  Some years I will be observed, and some years I will have written reviews.  When I am observed and when go through the written review process I am judged for how well I am implementing practices that will raise test scores and asked if the test scores are going up based on practices I have to use in order to raise test scores.  So really, 40% of my evaluation is not based on standardized test scores, but on how well I test to to the test…and if scores go up because of how well I have been teaching to the test.   Still with me?

5% will end up being from the test scores of the entire school.

10% will be on parent surveys or peer surveys…hmmm…

So in order to get a great evaluation all I have to do is look at all the test scores of incoming students.  I don’t have to look at the kids who are scoring high to middle.  I can ignore the kids at the bottom who take too much work and never show much improvement in scores.  I can just focus on the 10-15 kids who are the cusp of being proficient, the kids that are on the upper edge of the lower 33%.  Then I just have to figure out the 3-5 questions that they got wrong on the test that bumped them into the lower grouping and focus on those questions.  Since I never get a parent complaint from kids who have high grades, I can easily bump up everybody’s average to at least an 85 and ace the 10% of the eval that is based on parents feedback.  Since I don’t use many copies, I can hand out my copy code to other teachers and they will mark me as “very helpful” and I will ace the peer survey part.  I can’t figure out how to rig the 5% of my evaluation that is coming from school test scores, but getting a 95% should be pretty good.  As an extra safeguard, I have already told the colleges that ask me to take student teachers that I will not be taking any more student teachers, or interns.  I do not want them impacting my students scores.

Now don’t forget…the Common Core Standards are coming!!  Written by folks who have declared non-fiction and person connections to be evil! Written by folks who have ties to for profit charter schools!  Written by folks who support companies that just spent $2,6000,000 in Connecticut lobbying to destroy public school teachers’ jobs.  Written by folks who support eliminating human grading of essays!  It will be fantastic to be teaching in a country in which other companies like the Bill Gates foundation has given almost as much money to carrying out the new National Standards as the United States government has!

I am so lucky to be a teacher…