In bed with the enemy…

Today I was given a copy of a test question example that will be used for common core assessment in Connecticut made by SBAC.  You can view it here, and if you go to page twenty you can see the question.  There are two groups vying to make the tests.  PARC and SBAC.  The leader of SBAC could have been Secretary of Education but Arne got in her way.

The question let’s the students use three sources to determine their answer to the following:

Your assignment:
You will read a short story and article, watch a video, review research statistics, then write
an argumentative essay about your opinion on virtual schools.

To complete this the students get to use three sources.

1-A short story from Isaac Asimov
2-A video showing a clip from NBC news
3-And a link to data on a website from kpk12.com

Let’s take a look at the sources…

Honestly I don’t know about Isaac Asimov…I will let you investigate his history :)

The video is from the Youtube channel of Connections Academy.  It is a clip from NBC news.  I will not go into the background of NBC news and education, that’s been out there and easy to find.  Let’s just say that in their education nation their aren’t many educators.  Connections Academy is a virtual school in 14 states with over 40,000 students.  So it’s safe to say that on a virtual school’s Youtube channel you would probably only find things that support virtual schools.  Connections Academy is owned by…go ahead…for those of you following the money behind the Common Core Standards take a guess…

If you guessed Pearson you are correct.

Let’s look at the third source.  Data from the website kpk12.com.  Some of the sponsors of Kpk12.com are…go ahead and guess…

The Florida Virtual School, Virtual High School Global Consortium, National Repository of Online Classes, and…

Pearson.

kpk12.com is organized by Evergreen Education Group.  It is a private advisory firm.  Among their clients are iNacol, National Association of Charter School Organizers, Florida Virtual School, eCollege, and…Pearson.  Pearson also owns eCollege. Evergreen has five full time staff members.  John Watson worked for Pearson.  Chris Rapp worked for eCollege, Amy Murin worked for eCollege, and Butch Germin worked for Monterey Institute for Technology and Education.

What we have is not a test question, but an advertisment.  What I don’t get is that SBAC chose McGraw Hill to write their 12,000 test questions.  I guess no one at Pearson writes questions.

If some of the names above don’t sound familiar, or if you think these are random coincidental connections, I have written about other Common Core connections here…and about the Common Core disclaimer, yes there is a disclaimer, here.

I don’t think anyone would teach using a unit on tolerance given to them by the enemies of civil rights.  No teacher would put up with that.  But yet, teachers (including myself) will start off this year fully supporting the Common Core in the classroom.  I feel as though every day when I come home I need to take a shower, because I have spent my day in bed with the enemy.

11 thoughts on “In bed with the enemy…

1. Keep at it, Paul. Keep looking behind the veils. It’s important to make those connections between our policy makers and the business (which, through consolidation, is more and more just … Pearson). Thanks for the post.
    Kevin

2. While one such test question may be called an advertisement, it would seem that a string of such questions should be called indoctrination. Thanks for your insightful post.

3. Please avail yourself of the research of Georgia lawyer and mother of a 9th grader in preIB who is documenting enough for all of us. Her site is well footnoted and diverse, with goo dialogues in the response posts
    Invisibleserfscollar.com
    Read back to April or May of last year, where she begins. I am just a teacher who justvretired from teaching 8th graders math before Common Core in Florida swallowed me whole. I happened on your website through a series of links just as I did serfscollar, I share good data sites as I go on my search, begun by my reading and viewing John Taylor Gatto.

God bless those of you still in the Warzone.