90 Comments

← Previous Page 2 of 2
  1. jim

Paul,

Very impressive….I’m going to try this with my class this fall. What is a “whu-ha-ha”?

Thanks for sharing and for the awesome way you shared it…very thorough.

• The whu-ha-ha is that powerful connection sentence that leads the listener from one point to another. It wasn’t really enforced because the kids had their hands full trying to do the narration. That is one thing I have to figure out how to do next time a bit better–how to get them to read with more umph. When they were narrating they were also watching and pacing themselves and their brains could only do so many things at once!

2. mrhuebl

Paul,
    Thanks for sharing this process. I am undertaking (experimenting!) this now and have used this post as my guide. I have linked to this on my own blog, so hopefully more folks can take advantage of your generous sharing.

Paul Huebl
    Adelaide, Australia

3. Ryan Sanchez

Well, I am in the middle of attempting this with my students. We are working with very limited time so I have modified quite a bit for some students. Here is one example: http://youtu.be/5uzncItXil8

I am anticipating quite a few quality videos from a few periods. I’ll post those when they are completed. Thanks again for the inspiration.

• Paul Bogush

Thanks for sharing Ryan. After I film them this year I am going to pop a video into this post that shows the kids filming in real time. Love the idea your kids had about leaving in some of the real time comments.

4. Laura Paradis

Hey Paul,
    I am doing this with my students right now and your blog has been SO helpful!! I cannot wait to see how they all turn out. We have access to Mac computers so I am hoping the downloading and all will be something my students can do, at least that’s the plan. We shall see. Thanks for sharing all your expertise!!

5. Dan Boyle

Just finished having my 9th grade World History students create some of these about the economic theories of the Industrial Revolution. This post continues to help me with them and it is the one that I always send them to as they try to figure out the process. Thanks, Paul.

Here is the link to the videos I have posted to this point.

• Paul Bogush

No rubric was used…not a big fan of them, especially when doing something new for the first time. Are you more creative when you are being judged? :) When doing something for first time without a rubric kids are more likely to experiment and try new things, and not try to force something they don’t like to work.

6. Chris Miller

Love this point!

“What we have in education is the Instagramafication of teacher’s units. Just like people think that they can take a poorly composed picture and spiff it up with Instagram filters and it will suddenly become breathtaking, the same thing is happening in classrooms.”

7. Angie Settemeyer

I learned about this process this past spring (Spring 2014) in one of my graduate classes even though we never created on ourselves. I researched doing it with a middle school classroom and came across your site and modified it to fit the lesson I did. My kids loved doing it. I am now using it in one of my other classes this semester. Since my groups are smaller and at varying levels I allow them to use a mini white board and they just erase when they need it and I allow students bring their own cameras/tripods if they want. I do give them the option of using butcher paper if they want but most actually like the individual white boards even though a full picture isn’t apparent at the end.

Thank you for your blog post and examples. It was a great help and inspiration.

8. Walkthroughs Cheesy

What type of cameras do you use?
    What were the specs as far as megapixels or card capacity?
    thanks.

• paul bogush

We used a variety of cameras and phones. At this point any digital camera today would work and every SD sold has plenty of capacity.