Twitter

If you are reading this there is a good chance you came from my twitter page and are considering whether or not to click on that little follow button.  If you are I would ask that you do it because you actually want to interact with me and not just because you are trying to add followers, or just because I happen to teach the same subject as you.  I recommend checking out my blog posts, and scroll back through some past tweets.  Twitterers with opposing viewpoints are welcome! If you do follow I would appreciate it if you @reply to me to share your opinions, questions, and collaborative ideas.

So what if you follow me and I don’t follow back or block you? It’s probably because of one of the following reasons:

1. You are promoting a product or your services…educational services included(auto block!)
  2. You have no image or bio line…come on, put something up to symbolize who you are!
  3. You do not use your name on your home page (first names are fine!)
  4. You are following 5000 people and only 1 is following you back
  5. You are only following 1 person and 5000 are following you…all except you @alfiekohn, I am still holding out for you to follow me!
  6. All you do is tweeter preacher.
  7. All your interactions are with a small clique of twitterers
  8. You don’t have any tweets yet
  9. You curse…sorry, I often share my twitter page with my class and well…
  10. Your tweets are protected and you only have a name identifying yourself with no link to any personal information, and you bio line is blank–sorry, but just a name and a blocked twitter page does not make me feel safe following you!

So what would make me follow you?

1. You have a creative bio line that is intriguing
  2. Your past tweets interact with a variety of people
  3. Your past tweets aren’t all links
  4. Your past tweets aren’t all re-tweets
  5. Your tweets show some insight into who you are, a blend of professional and personal

I am a firm believer that Twitter is not just a place to share other people’s resources by tweeting links you have found, or re-tweeting other people’s tweets.  It can be a place for deep thinking and reflection and dialogue.  Twitter is like a huge treasure chest, links and re-tweets can be golden, but interaction, dialogue, questions, and tweets that are origional thoughts and ideas are the gems in the chest.  Never question your power to contribute gems to the twitter treasure chest.

Ok…this was all just a test…if you made it this far click that little follow button and let me know by@replying to me your nervous tick or idiosyncrasy that you have 😉  Mine is that I roll a pen between my hands and make it click on my wedding ring!

1. I have to agree with Terry – as always an excellent post.

Also I will try harder not to tell you what I had for breakfast everyday 🙂

Please note since after 8PM EST is prime time for you and my twitter account may get a bit overwhelm at times (always) feel free to add an @suewaters in the occasional tweet.

2. Hello. Saw you respond to Dr. Steve Perry about the union. I am following you but wanted you to know that if you check my Tweets from the past few days, there is not much education-related stuff on there, as the Atlanta area papers stop reporting during the break! I do have an education blog at WordPress: EducationCEO.

I would like to interact with you because I do not believe that unions are a bad thing. I think too many ‘experts’ are pointing fingers in the wrong direction. They never consider the stuff that goes on in states without unions..I have a few horror stories to share on that!

Lastly, you are a Social Studies teacher! I majored in History/African American Studies but ended up teaching Special Education.

That’s a little about me and why I decided to follow you!

Monise

3. I can’t go for number 5 in your second list. I personally have decided to break up my twitter life into three pieces. One is personal and protected, mainly because I’m on a job search. One is to interact with ESL teachers, because that is one of the occupational hats I wear. And one is to interact with historians and other academics interested in digital humanities. In this way I don’t bore people with posts irrelevant to our common interests. Admittedly, I started this before twitter began its lists, but I am finding it easier to operate this way.

1. P.S. Why protect for the job search? I’m not sure. Mainly, I’m just reevaluating the whole thing about putting any personal information up on the web.

4. Good to meet you. Thanks for the follow. I don’t think I’ve tweeted with any other home grown professionals so this is a rare pleasure. Regards!

5. Hi Paul, FYI on Twitter, I use lists bc it’s more organized so my twitter follow list is small. I have a dozen lists with twitter-ers in there. So don’t just judge a tweeter on their follow list, check if they use lists.

I have over 900 followers but honestly don’t know which of them are spammers or people who quit Twitter since clicking that button. I therefore follow 10% of who follows me but I have ppl on my lists who I read.

Just another perspective.

I’m also busy creating content on my blog & twitter and don’t spend an equal time reading others. Kind of like a book writer spends more time writing their own book then reading books of others. Just limited time that’s all.

6. Hi Paul,

Just got through a nasty strike process in British Columbia. We are faced with increased privatization of schools up here and a defunding of public ed. Would like to be able to see your thought processes on twitter

My twitter handle is @skoki12 – named after an old dog and before I realized it should be my name. I am identified in the bio portion of twitter however.

Brad Wilson