Now…

We are always getting ready to live but never living.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sometimes I wonder if we spend to much time getting kids ready for the future, and never let them experience today. I feel like my focus on creating lifelong learners results in kids who might never stop to experience life, never realize that action in the moment that they are in is just as important as preparing oneself for the future.

I used to lead nature walks in which we would hug trees, find salamanders, lay down and watch the branches above sway in the breeze, and listen to the leaves crunch under our feet.  Today I would feel the pull to bring our cameras into the woods and record everything, document it, blog it, research and write a wiki page, and then record a podcast.  It doesn’t result in being in “the moment” because one’s thoughts are not open to absorbing and experiencing the new things, but how will they use the things they find be used at a later time and date.

When I am depressed it is because I am living in the past.  When I am anxious it is because I am
living in the future.
~unknown

I hate that it takes a flop of a lesson in which I was looking for answers about the future, and the kids gave me answers about today, to make me realize that I have to slow done and enter their “moment” to better prepare them for our future.

Children have neither past nor future; they enjoy the present, which very few of us do.
~Jean de la Bruyere