A reminder to me…

There has been that “thing” missing from my teaching this year.  You know…that secret teacher mojo.  Things have been going smoothly, we have done some really neat things, but something has been missing.  A student today told me something along the lines of  “You know, you try to come across as happy person, but you are really not.”  Got to love having open relationships with your kids huh?  She is right, this year hasn’t been my happiest.  Something happened in the beginning of the year that has made me hold back (sorry to write in code).  I question what someone’s reaction is going to be to everything I do, and so I have decided to play it safe for a year.

I am noticing a huge difference with the kids.  I have been playing it safe, and they are too.  They lack that edge, that bite, that growl, that tenacity to try anything and leap tall buildings that they would normally do at this time of year…and so do I.

“Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature.”
Tom Robbins

My class is stuck on “being sober, cautious, and responsible.”  I need to somehow balance my need to watch my back this year, with “being playful, rebellious, and immature.”